Thursday, September 8, 2022

 Research:Practice- Angles and Framing shots 



Today in class we learned about the different types of angles and shots used in movies and TV shows that affect the way the scene is presented and the impact it can have on the media text. Then we practiced taking some of the shots and angles as pictures, to practice how we would use these for our final video and to analyze media texts. 

Here are the practice pictures I took of angles and shots: 

This is an establishing or extreme wide shot used to set the scene.


This is a master shot, which is an establishing shot but with the main character in the shot, in this example being my dog. 


This is a long shot that shows the life size of the person. In this I took a picture of a full body, used to contrast the distance that the  screen and the image have. 


This is a medium shot which shows the person from the waist up. 


Similar to the medium shot, a two shot includes two characters from the waist up. 


This is an over the shoulder shot which is used to make the audience feel like they are part of the conversation. 


This is a Point of View shot, that is taken from the perspective of the person looking, for example the person looking down and holding my dogs face. 


This is a close up shot where a part of something like a face is shown to draw attention to the persons emotion, for example in this image the close up draws attention to the face of joy. 


This is an extreme close up shot that makes the image seem larger than what the eye can easily see. 


This is a high angle shot that is taken from above the person, usually used to show power from the persons POV that is taking the image, making the person in the picture seem smaller, less powerful. 


A low angle is used to make the person in the frame seem powerful and intimidating.Opposite of high angle. 


A canted or dutch angle is tilted, used to show confusion of uncertainty. 


This is a cowboy shot is a medium long shot, it shows about 3/4 of body. 


This is an eye level shot used to place the character and audience, looking at each other. 


    After having done this exercise, it became clear to me how different angles and shots are taken, and how they can signify different things like power or confusion. I enjoyed doing this exercise because I was able to take all of the pictures and make them my own by changing up the angles and experimenting with different ways to take them. I was able to have my dog and my mom as my main photo focuses to practice taking these different types of angles and shots. I am happy with the results and will be using these techniques to analyze media texts and make my final video.